Wednesday 16 November 2011

I got started on the Keel and chines late monday evening, and finished them up last night.
I decided to try nailing them on, mostly just to try something different, and I thought it would be faster than lashing.

It turned out to be a lot slower than lashing, and I had to put at least two nails at different angles into every rib/chine junction, and in the end I still had to lash the ends where the pressure was too much for the nails to hold.

The end result will work fine though, and without lashings on top of it I can plane the edges off without worrying about messing anything up.



I cut the keel piece, and had to do a bit of improvising to get it attached, but the end result feels solid enough.


I have to say though, these two kayaks are the most crooked rushed things I've ever built.

I will probably have to build something proper at a later time, but first I want something I can paddle. :P

I measured and drew up the stemplates, and the last deck beam over the knees, but I only have a japanese hand saw, so the curves are a bit of a bother, so I'm bringing it out to my dad's place today to borrow his jigsaw and get the last bits done.



Once they're cut and attached it's time for a pre-skin test! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment